Thursday 15 April 2010

Sunday in London

After the Tate we spent a long time looking for Borough Market, eventually found it but by the time we had my poor foot was in ribbons - great big huge blister on my little toe, in spite of an emergency sock purchase! Hobbled about a bit and then limped to the tube and back to our room for a rest! Found a lovely pub Saturday evening, just off Kensington High Street, which probably explains why one pint of larger and a regular glass of wine cost £9.60!! Then went for a thai which was fantastic.

Sunday morning decided that a change of footwear would help with the blister which had replaced my little toe and we set off for Covent Garden. Much more confident on the tube today and even managed to rejig our plans to cope with a non running tube! Had scrambled eggs, toast and coffee at Le Pain Quotidien which was lovely although made the mistake of thinking it was warm enough to sit outside, sadly it wasn't and we had to eat and drink quickly before it all went cold!

Loads going on in Covent Garden and it was a great place to while away an hour or two shopping for presents for the kids.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Have to admit that some of these aprons made me chuckle. One in particular seemed rather apt... I'll leave you to work out which!

Photobucket

We decided to walk from Covent Garden, through Soho and China Town to Oxford Street, the Photographers Gallery is just off Oxford Street. At this point my foot is holding up well and although uncomfortable nothing a brave little soldier couldn't handle!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
China Town was really bustling and I could happily have swapped to the zoom lens and taken up a position for an hour or so to do some candid street photography. Sadly Steve wasn't big on that plan.

Steve and I used to go to a restaurant in China Town on work nights out that was called "wonkies". The service was very strange, lots of little chinese men shouting orders at one another and you - when you sat down they flung out menus and little pots of jasmine tea and then came back 30 seconds later demanding to know "what you want"!! I ate there several times and only once got food poisoning, which I think is pretty good going! I have never been so ill, you really don't need the details! We were delighted to find it so that I could take a photo so it is immortalised on my blog!
Photobucket

Coming out of China Town was the street with all the theatres - it almost certainly has a name, have no idea what it is!
Photobucket

Photobucket

We called into Starbucks on Oxford Street for a coffee and a cup cake, all that walking meant I was in danger of creating a calorie deficit, I am almost sure!
Photobucket

The Photographers Gallery was interesting and had the Deutsche Borse 2010 photography prize exhibition, so it was great to have the opportunity to see that.

From there we walked to Carnaby Street. It was buzzing! The whole place has a fantastic feel to it.
Photobucket
How fab is that for a shop front?

Photobucket

Even though I was hobbling about I still had to ogle shoes.
Photobucket

Photobucket

And this is the final photo from our weekend in London and probably my favourite of the weekend!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, feedback is always appreciated and I always reply. x